4.03.2013

I think people should know......

Don't be afraid to tell your friends you are a diabetic, Use it as an opportunity to get closer to them. 
-Nick Jonas

I have decided to share some things about my life as a diabetic that I think everyone needs to know. There are a lot of misconceptions about diabetes and this one blog wont change that but I think people should know......




Shots hurt.

The pump does not check my blood sugar or let know know what my blood sugar is doing.

I check my sugars like 8 times a day.


Diabetes is a full time job with no pay check.

I can actually eat whatever I want.


Insulin is a beautiful thing.


EVERYTHING affects blood sugar.

I cry a lot.

Diabetes cannot run my life, but it does change it.

I am always thirsty.

This sucks....


Too much insulin can kill me.
Glucagon can save my life.

Not enough
insulin can kill me.

I DID NOT do this to myself.

Diabetes is forever.

Just because I have it doesn't mean I know everything about diabetes.

I go to the doctor every 3 months.

I have a great support system.

A roller coaster will kill my pump.


I decided to become a nurse after I was diagnosed with diabetes.

My blood sugar can keep my up all night.

No one can understand low blood sugar unless you have had it.

I can tell how low my sugar is based in the symptoms without checking (but i still do).

I trust my husband with my life every time i go to sleep (because I might now wake up).

I sleep with my pump under a pillow so I don't get wrapped in the cord.

I change my pump site every 3 days (or sooner).


If I don't have health insurance I cannot afford any supplies.

Pregnancy is not something that can "just happen" it MUST be planned.

I have many scars.

I am high risk for everything.

Sugar free is not always better.

Yes, I wear my pump all the time.. No, it's not because I want to.



A pump malfunction is terrifying.

Pump companies have the absolute best customer service and most of them are diabetic!




This is just a glimpse into the life of a type 1 diabetic. I have so much going on in my head all the time it gives me a head ache. There is never a time I can let me guard down with this disease because it is a constant struggle. Everything effects my sugars and that is something I am still getting used to. No this disease does not get any easier but I am learning how to manage it.




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments always welcome.